Monday, July 21, 2008

I Promise....To Provide

Yesterday my pastor challenged me with how we spend our money. Justin and I live pretty simple, but I was challenged with the reminder to be content, knowing that God provides my everyday needs for life and GODLINESS. Godliness, how often do we stop and think God is providing for our Godliness. We are always so wrapped up in how God is providing for our material needs.
I have below some of the main points from his sermon, I added some questions for readers to chew on and then at the end I put questions that Justin and I can ask eachother each month.
I would recommend reading over the points more than once, let them sink in.
“I PROMISE…TO PROVIDE”
Hebrews 13:5-6

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have.” Hebrews 13:5

Our having never catches up with our wanting.
Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15

This is a call to live without covetousness (the love of money), and to live with contentment (enough).

Our fear is not if we think we are going to have enough to buy gas or get by in life....
Our fear is that we think we are not going to have enough to have a nicer house, car, clothes…
His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3

This is all demonstrated in …
Joyful simplicity-- how is God dealing with you when it comes to living simple?
Sacrificial generosity-- what are you sacrificing?

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had.” Acts 4:32

Increasing desire, decreasing satisfaction. Possessions will never fulfill our needs as God can fulfill them. We will be in a constant state of decreasing satisfaction, we will always want more.

The more stuff we have the more it robs us of our time with family.
These are questions that I want for our family to be aware of....

Pociask Challenge

Where does the majority of our paycheck go a month?

Where or who could we give to each month?

How often do we remember that God provides what we need for life and godliness?
What challenge will you take away from this?

0 comments: