Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dear Mom

When I think back to highschool I really regret the way I treated my mother. Looking back to all the work, sacrifice, unended hours, unconditional love, discipline, clothes she bought me and sewed for me, beautiful prom dresses that were bought, the many boo boos she kissed, vomit and bowel movements she cleaned up after, making each banana curl perfect for every pony tail she put on my head, washing my clothes, making me dinner, sacrficing buying herself clothes so I could have more, seeing my mom wear the same sweater over and over again and wonder why...now I understand, the most awesomest funnest birthday parties she threw for me--for example: fashion shows, costume party where my mom made me a cinderella dress, my surprise 16 b-day party that I had no clue about. My mom is Queen for going ALL out to make her children feel special. Any birthday or special occasion I definitely felt like a queen! Thanks, mom!

It is funny how I can look back now and see all the wonderful things my mom did for me when I was a child, but then just took them for granted. My mom use to always tell me you will understand one day when you have children of your own. I am sure I rolled my eyes (which she hated), and sighed with a whatever attitude. I hate looking back to my ungratefulness, but am grateful now my mom and I have the best relationship ever! I hate that it took this long, but better now than never. Learning from my mistakes of being an ungrateful daughter has made me pray each night for Abigail and my relationship. There is not a night that passes that I do not pray for our relationship.

I was thinking today when I wanted to write this blog:

I challenge you to write your mom a letter or give her call today and let her know what you appreciate about her. Ask yourself these questions:

  1. What things do you cherish about her?
  2. What things were you not grateful for when you when younger but now are grateful for?
  3. What things are you sorry about, but never took the time to truly tell her how sorry you were?
  4. What is the best memory you have with your mother?

These are just a few questions to spur your thoughts, but let me know what other things you add to your letter. I would love to hear how this goes with your mom. If you would be willing to post your letter on here, I would greatly appreciate it. I think many readers would benefit from it. I will be praying for you, knowing that not all sons and daughters have the best relationships with their moms. Do not rely on your own words, let the Spirit lead you. I pray there are wounds mended and tears shed. Blessings to you, and thanks for stopping by!

Dear mom,

I cherish that you have always been there for me even when I had treated you like dog poo. I cherish that you always had me dressed to a T, with matching bows and socks, OFCOURSE. I cherish that you pushed me to be the best in anything that I went out for. I cherish that you taught me how to make others feel special even if they were from a different socioeconomic level than I was. I cherish that cried with me when I hurt over silly boyfriends. I cherish that you put together the most beautiful wedding I could of even dreamed of. I cherish that you are alive and we are able to talk on the phone every day whenever we want to. I love you mom.

I am sorry that I was not grateful for the all nice clothes you bought me, and the many hours you put into sewing me the cutest and best of material outfits for Easter, Christmas, school activities, and just cause you wanted to sew me an outfit. I am grateful that you took less sleep so I could have adequate sleep when I was a child. I am grateful for you believing in me even if it was hard for you to express to me that you were. I am grateful that you have always been my biggest fan!

I am sorry if I caused you heartache over the boys I chose to date and the words I threw in your face that were not respectful. I am sorry for the times I disobeyed you. I am sorry for my attitude when I did not like my big frilly dresses you put countless hours into making. I am sorry for rolling my eyes at you, cause I know that always lit a fire in you. Still not sure why, but maybe one day I will understand. :)

I will have to say some of the best memories I have with you are on our mother/daughter shopping trips and getting our ritual cookies and coke. Another memory I will always cherish is when you were there with open arms to hold me when I won homecoming queen.... I love you mom!

Love,

Anna--(Sweet-pea)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet-pea, may you know that you made me cry, but a good cry! I love how we have grown over the last 8 years from mom-daughter to friend-friend, may you know I am very proud of you and you will make a wonderful mommy and wife. You are a blessing in our lives. I will always be here for you. Love MOM xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo